7 Common Mistakes To Avoid During Ramazan
1. Drinking “rooh afza” on a daily basis
– Why: It contains high amounts of sugar, additives and colarants
– Solution: If you have to, drink it twice a week maximum
2. Drinking large amounts of water at iftaar time
– Why: Filling the stomach with water is more strenuous to it than with food.
– Solution: have a few sips at iftaar then a glass after every two hours.
3. Exercising directly after iftaar.
– Why: the body’s blood flow is concentrated around the stomach at that time.
– Solution: Exercise after two hours of eating to ease digestion.
4. Chewing and swallowing food fast.
– Why: chewing food slowly can speed up digestion and help maintain your weight
5. Having dessert directly after iftaar
– Why: they make you drowsy and sleepy
– Solution: leave at least a two hour gap between iftaar and dessert to stay fresh and awake for ishaa and taraweeh prayers
6. Consuming foods with high amounts of sodium
– Why: Sodium triggers thirst through out the fasting hours of the day
– Solution: instead, eat foods that are high in potassium, they retain water and supress your thirst.
# Bananas are high in potassium. A banana at Suhoor time can control your thirst level through out the day.
# Best sources of potassium for Suhoor time:
– dried peaches
– dark chocolate
# Worst choices for Suhoor:
– fast food in general
# Best choices for Suhoor:
– whole grain bread
# Drinking lots of water at suhoor is important, but not as much as drinking it through out your non-fasting hours.
7. Spending too much time on food preparations.
Instead of spending too much time on different food preparations, allocate more time in reciting Quran and offering prayers. For all the guys reading this blog, you might want to lend a hand to the females in your households. They do all the work from Suhoor to Iftaar, It would be good to have a helping hand to save up their time so they can also make additional prayers like you guys. 🙂
Spread the word guys. And have a happy blessed Ramazan 🙂
Credits: To someone random over the internet. I modified the original post and added my input as well.